The Cambridge History of Australian Literature (2009), by Peter Pierce, calls Antipodes “the most significant overseas journal of Australian literature.”
Antipodes, the official journal of the American Association of Australasian Literary Studies (AAALS), is published in June and December of each year. The journal welcomes critical essays on any aspect of Australian and New Zealand literature and culture. Antipodes also furnishes readers with an annual bibliography of Australasian literature and criticism published in North America.
Additionally, Antipodes welcomes short fiction, excerpts from novels, drama, creative nonfiction, and poetry written by Australian and New Zealand authors. Antipodes has published work by many of Australasia’s leading writers, including Tim Winton, A.D. Hope, Thea Astley, Les Murray, Thomas Keneally, Janette Turner Hospital, Peter Carey, Dorothy Hewett, Chris Wallace-Crabbe, Dorothy Porter, Thomas Shapcott, Elizabeth Jolley, Gwen Harwood, Archie Weller, John Kinsella, David Malouf, Ouyang Yu, John Tranter, Frank Moorhouse, Peter Porter, and M.T.C. Cronin.
Antipodes is a peer-reviewed journal indexed in both the MLA International Bibliography and AustLit. It is published by Wayne State University Press with support from the Literature Board of the Australia Council for the Arts and Vassar College.
Antipodes accepts submissions in the following genres: critical essays, interviews, fiction, drama, poetry, creative nonfiction, and book reviews. All critical essays submitted to the journal will be subject to peer review, while submissions in other genres will be assessed by the relevant section editor.
For the journal’s most up-to-date submission guidelines, please visit the website of our publisher, Wayne State University Press.
Individuals and institutions wishing to subscribe to Antipodes (or to purchase a single copy) should visit the website of our publisher, Wayne State University Press.
- Nicholas Birns, New York University email@example.com
- Associate Editor
- Paul Plisiewicz, University of South Carolina firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fiction Editor
- Niki Tulk, University of Colorado email@example.com
- Poetry Editor
- Paul Kane, Vassar College firstname.lastname@example.org
- Reviews Editor
- Richard Carr, University of Alaska-Fairbanks email@example.com
Editorial Advisory Board Members
- Carolyn Bliss (Chair), University of Utah
- Faye Christenberry, University of Washington
- Donna Coates, University of Calgary
- Nicholas Dunlop, University of South Wales
- Michael Griffith, University of Wollongong
- Christopher Lee, Griffith University
- David McCooey, Deakin University
- John Scheckter, Long Island University
- Adi Wimmer, University of Klagenfurt
Robert Ross (1934–2005), The University of Texas at Austin
Current and Back Issues
Details of the most recent issue of Antipodes, as well as issues dating back to 1995, can be found on the website of our publisher, Wayne State University Press.
Antipodes has published special issues on topics including Pedagogy Down Under (28.1), Australia and the 1960s (27.1), Transnational Antipodeanism (25.2), Asian–Australian Connections (25.1), Latin American–Australian Connections (24.2), Fear in Australian Literature and Film (23.1), Brian Kiernan (22.1), Robert Ross (19.2), and Australian Film (13.2).